Wednesday, February 29, 2012

On Time

I'm fascinated by February 29th. Leap Day. 

I love it because it's so special, so unique. After all, it only comes once every four years. I've always wondered -- what would it be like to have February 29th as your birthday?

It fills in a gap that the other 365 days can't make up for, restores those extra six hours that are lost every year. It sets the calendar right...until the next year rolls around, and our keeping of time gets behind again. 

Whenever a February 29th comes by, it feels like a present, like I'm being given an extra twenty-four hours to catch up on life. It reminds me that time is important, that we don't know when the clock will run out for us, that we have to attack every second, treasure every minute, take advantage of every hour, seize every day. That we need to treat time as though it is precious, because it is.  

Are you going to Carpe Diem today? 

1 comment:

  1. oh, i seized it, all right! but i'm guessing not quite in the way you meant. i was actually a bit grouchy, which makes me think i'm glad it only comes around infrequently :-)

    ReplyDelete